PKIET – National Service Scheme is functioning as two units with Dr. M. DHAMODARAN, Assistant Professor and Dr. J. UDAYAKUMAR, Assistant Professor as Programme officers. NSS unit is established to give an extension dimension to the higher education and orient the student youth to community service while they are studying at the college with the following main objectives.
- To understand the community in which they work;
- To develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility;
- To develop competence required for group-living and sharing of responsibilities;
- To acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitude;
- To develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters.
As per the Pondicherry University curriculum, all the first year students are enrolled as NSS volunteers and continued up to the end of second year.
Our NSS students participate in various social events and awareness programmes such as
1. Blood Donation camp
2. Orientation and leadership programmes
3. A Special camp at adopted villages
4. National Integration camps
5. Heritage places
6. Environmental awareness programmes
7. Tree Plantation
8. Aware programmes such as AIDS control, Blood Donation, Personal hygiene, Voters awareness etc.,
9. Cleaning of heritage places, campus and adopted villages.